The title itself is not meant to be exaggerated; when I am at home sick with a nasty bug, I pop in Season 4 of Sex and The City and let Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda take my pain away. But one essential part of my girly treatment plan, is some Lemon Rice Chicken Soup. I will warn you – I am a garlic fiend, so do not hesitate to scale back on the cloves.
Lemon Rice Chicken Soup
2 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup long grain rice (white rice can just as easily be used)
3 cloves of fresh (not minced) garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup shredded skinless cooked chicken
3 tablespoons fine parmigiano cheese
Quarter of a lemon
1 teaspoon Horseradish sauce (Optional)
Serves: 1 Sick Person
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, pour in olive oil and let heat until oil thins enough to coat bottom of saucepan.
2. Toss in garlic and let simmer for about 30 seconds, or until garlic starts to faintly brown.
3. Pour in chicken stock and let simmer until it slightly starts to boil.
4. Squeeze in lemon, and toss in peel to saucepan for extra flavor.
5. Pour in rice and let cook for about 5 minutes.
6. Toss in shredded chicken, and let simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, mix in parmigiano cheese (and Horseradish at this point), and serve!
TIP: Cooking the rice beforehand for a harder, drier texture is also an option that I sometimes like to do.
Get Well Soon!